The Mindanao State University-Buug (MSU-Buug) is a product of the confident endeavour of the past and present leadership. It was established in 1971 as MSU-Buug Community High School. A self-supporting unit, in response to the incessant request of local residents through the local government units in order to uplift the educational status of the poor and under served.

Especially the indigenous people of the province of Zamboanga Sibugay formerly Zamboanga del Sur. It was subsidized by MSU-Marawi Campus from 1974 by virtue of BOR Resolution No. 1030. Despite the very meagre budget given by the MSU-Main Campus, the school continued to operate with the commendable commitment of its faculty and staff.

In 1982, the school was elevated into a collegiate level and renamed as MSU-Buug College. It was authorized to offer general college courses by virtue of BOR Resolution Nos. 492 and 492-B, respectively. It was subsequently authorized to offer complete courses in Agriculture, Forestry, Education and Arts through BOR Resolution No. 55, series of 1989.

In 2002, by virtue of Special Order No. 581-OP, MSU-Buug was revitalized by the modification of its structure which subsequently transferred the supervision of the Unit to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. MSU-Buug then became one of the colleges of Mindanao State University System (MSUS) and such, it was headed by a Director/Dean.

In 2010, the Mindanao State University – Buug became the 8th Autonomous Campus of the Mindanao State University under the Board of Regents (BOR) Resolution No. 168 series of 2010.

Presently, the Campus was headed by its chancellor, Sultan Pangandag M. Magolama, PhD.